Sewing for christmas

Well, I have been a busy bee today! I have used some of my Christmas stash to make some circular napkins for the Christmas table.

I admit to being very nervous – I can barely sew in a straight line let alone a circle!!!!!! But I have procrastinated for too long on this thought and so on with it I got!

I started by making the circular template – I needed it to be 17″ in diameter so had to use a string and a pin!!!!!! I made it 19″” so I could sew a larger seam *just in case*

I needed 8 napkins – double sided so I cut out 16 circles! That was a lot of cutting and I was a bit bored of it after that. Soooooo, then I pinned them right sides together and marked a 1″ seam line with my tailors chalk.

Measuring circular Christmas napkins

And sewed them together leaving a 3″ gap for turning.  I needed to adjust the tension too and also the stitch length  for more security.


Then, after I ironed the seam in of course, I cut both seams individually and in opposite places to limit bulk and turned them pushing out the curve with my card folding presser thing I have had for yonks!! Its the perfect tool.

Once again I pressed 😉 (I LOVE Pressing – Luckily)

Tucked the opening in…………and top stitched to close.

Now, they aren’t perfect are each unique and I am so so pleased with them especially considering I can’t sew straight!!!!!

And here they are folded as they will be on the Christmas table along with my handmade tablecloth. 🙂

So, totally stoked with these – I think they will look great on my Christmas Table.  If I remember I will try and take a pic – I’m usually a bit pickled by dinner time 😉

Till next time

Faye xx

My First Blog Post

Well, here is my 1st post and I thought I would coincide it with my 1st wearable item that I have sewn myself! I got a sewing machine for Christmas and have been playing with it as much as I can (which isn’t too much as my other love is beading – more about that another day). I have made little simple things such as carrier bag dispensers, cos they involve sewing in a straight line and that’s about it – Oh and FAB bag too  – I MUST show you this one day 🙂

Anyway, I transposed the pattern for this skirt from a book onto freezer paper 😉 and made the skirt from there. It involved adjusting at the waist, inserting a zipper and a waistband (none of which I had attempted before) so I was nervous and apprehensive and therefore thought I would use some cheaper material – a muslin if you like!

So, the picture,

20120527-184038.jpg

 

This material I got from a charity shop. It was a bed sheet and I paid £2 for 2 of them. I used half of one so in effect the material cost just 50p. I thought that was a bargain.

It’s not perfect by far but it’s totally wearable and I think it looks fabulous on.

Till the next time blogland

Faye x